Pages

Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Downed Angel Rebound


Jim would be self-conscious to hear me describe him as a 2-legged angel with "Awww, shucks" humility and selfless energy to help and empower others, just the kind of friend one's always sought.

But Jim is unconscious, in ICU, and has been on a respirator since December 2nd.

Jim, my brother's best friend since before my birth, and who helped me through my brother's death, had just left a Louisville restaurant when a car ran a red light and, at 45mph--without any evidence of braking--stuck Jim's car in the driver's door.

His exercise classmates, his walking buddy, his fellow retired teachers, church friends, neighbors, his fishin' buddies, his golf cronies, and his life-long friends all suspect a cellphone may have been the secondary cause of carelessness that's left Jim teetering on the frail thread between this life and the next.

My grief week in Louisville was spent in daily contact with Jim, in his company on the phone and in person, with him and his family.

Our conversations included a 6S discussion, leading him to my writing and this site, and awakening a voracious appetite to express himself in this form albeit on legal pads with a pen, and with exhuberant zeal I pray he'll recover to enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment