Pages

Saturday, October 29, 2011

This Catholic: On Cussing and God


Cussing is bad manners.  Writers do take artistic license, using those words in context of a character or a quote. But cussing, per se, isn't a sin. Only some.

Use His name in vain and you've gotta ticket to the hot place. Call your little brother a 'fucker' or a 'dick' for wetting the bed you have to share with him, you'll probably feel a parent's hand delivering an ass-whacking or the family's style of punishment,  but I suspect you'll have steered way clear of eternal damnation.

When I sail the f-bomb through blogosphere seas, I sometimes think, 'Shit. If I ever get a reader-- a follower who actually reads this drivel--I may get a nasty-gram or comment about my F-filth and their f-f-faith.'

Some words are dirtier, and you probably agree; there are terms you feel uncomfortable using or hearing. The one that rhymes with 'runt.' The aurally similar phrase to 'cotton rock sucker.' Hearing someone use the synonym for 'mammy-jammer.' Not nice. But a ticket to Hell?

Jesus. My tradition asserts He was like us in all things but sin. All things. A-L-L. On faith, I buy that, and were I Protestant, I'd probably say, "because the Bible tells me so," (which it does).

I don't see it: Jesus rousting the money-changers from the temple, saying "C'mon fellas, darn-it. Dag nab you, quit annoying me because you're getting my goat! I'm telling you, leave, by-gum!!" My opine is that he was angrier and his words reflected it. Short of sinning by using his Father's name, I think he really did let 'em have it and may have included the Effer.

"Sticks and stones may break my bones but words...." Bullshit. You have feelings. I have feelings. Feelings can be hurt. And words can be an inflicting weapon. Words can hurt. Do.

If you disagree, okay. If you wonder, 'What's the point?,' here it is:  Before you rock someone's boat, apply my 'CRADLE' rule (Context. Respect. Attitude. D iscretion. Locale. Environs.) that you may tiptoe lightly...for, you may not like whom, or what, you awaken.

No comments:

Post a Comment