Pages

Saturday, January 30, 2010

Mama's Mornin' Brew

Mama was in her chair a day or so ago, you know, the one with electric eject that helps her stand up an' all?

Well, the lights in the windows of her 91-year old eyes said she was home as I handed her a mug of coffee and pulled my chair up.

So I was on that chair lookin' in them eyes, watching the smile rise from the coffee mug's heat warming hands road-mapped with the wrinkles of her years.

She sipped and smiled. She always says "I could live on fresh bread 'n butter and a cuppa good coffee," so I asked, "Mama, how you likin' the coffee this mornin'?"


"It's strong enough to make a jackrabbit stand up and spit in a bulldog's eye," and, through my nodding chuckle, I was reminded how grateful I am to have come from her Southern and genteel stock.

No comments:

Post a Comment