Pages

Wednesday, February 10, 2010

My Dollars and Sense Don't Add Up

Maricopa County's Sheriff Joe (Arpaio) is the one with a tent city jail --replete with neon "Vacancy" sign-- housing prisoners who wear pink underwear, work chain gangs, and who saves the county millions of dollars denying air conditioning, coffee and cigarets to inmates dining on green citrus and bologna to match.


I'm on my pre-dawn, gasoline-wasting dash to buy smokes, my income tax appointment weighs on my mind; I'm bothered throwing a bucket of my cash into the chasm of [sic] capitol-D "DEFICIT."

An indigent-looking guy excavates the pocket of his grunge jeans and pulls out bills and coin, meticulously counting to make $6.10USD for a pack of smokes.

Taxes...smokes...welfare...taxes...smokes....


Okay, Gov. Brewer and President B.O.: Sheriff Joe's is a model that's economically worked so why the hell should we give healthcare assistance and free money to smokers?


After plunking down my bills barking "Marlborough 72s, the mini- ones," to the clerk, I step into the dark, uwrapping and lighting-up, and I realize how gawd-awful it would be to have an addiction I couldn't assuage.

No comments:

Post a Comment