Pages

Tuesday, March 9, 2010

What Does What You Just Asked, Mean, Exactly?

Suzy's in her 60s, an RN working swing-shift at the rehab wing of the 5-star facility.

She's standing before my mom with seeming reams of admissions forms coming off her clipboard, briefing each form's meaning as she requests signatures from the new patient.

"In case you should die here, Mary, do you want to be an organ donor?"

Mom's eyelids stretched their widest as she raised her hand and bellowed a long, "Noooooooooooooooo!"


On the drive home, I laugh myself silly imagining I'm a patient being approached by my transplant surgeon, "And the great news is that we found kidneys, a liver, lungs and heart for you, all born in 1918."


I wonder if there are extended warranties on used organs, or if the price is pro-rated based on use...like car batteries?

No comments:

Post a Comment