Pages

Thursday, June 24, 2010

Watershed Moment


I was in my study writing-out monthly bills when I heard Angela's voice behind me, ""Scuse me, Dad, but can we talk for a minute... about sex?"


My chair seemed to accelerate while swinging around as I fumbled my glasses onto the desk, knowing she noticed.

"What's up, honey?"

"Well, don't flip-out...because I'm still a virgin, but it's hard to say 'No' when your body's screaming 'Yes.'"


Some of the stupidest things I've ever said rolled out of my mouth, like, "The longer you wait the better the experience is, darlin'" and, through all my verbal awkwardness, Angela patiently listened before thanking me, pecking me on the cheek, and leaving the room.


I swept the bills aside, turned back to my computer, cleared the screen, made a mental note to block the TV channel that carries "Are You Smarter than a 5th Grader," Lifetime and Discovery channels, and began a furious internet search for old-style, all-girls' Catholic high schools in hopes of finding a suitable transfer for my 15-year old.

No comments:

Post a Comment